Common Descriptions & Uses of Natural Stone
Natural Stone Products:
- Procurement: Granite and marble are natural products pulled from quarries throughout the world. They exist in a variety of colors each varying in mineral composition. We, at Stone Services source the majority our granite from Brazilian quarries and Indian quarries. Our marbles are most often sourced through Italian, Spanish and Mexican quarries.
- Identification: In most cases marble and granite can be identified by visible particulates at the surface of the stone. Marble will normally show light tight veining whereas the minerals in granite will typically appear as small flecks distributed throughout the stone or large lodes of movement. Each type of stone is unique, will vary in color and will have distinctive markings all it own.
- Applications: Light duty floors, Bathroom vanities, Walls, and Fireplace Surrounds.
- Marble is found in the mountainous regions of the world. Because of its beauty and elegance, marble is a popular choice for light duty floors, bathroom vanities, tub decks and showers, wetbar countertops, fireplace facings and hearths, walls, windowsills and doors.
- Applications: High traffic floors, Kitchen countertops and building Facades.
- Granite, like Marble, is quarried from mountains regions of the globe. It is the most frequently sought after natural stone on the market. While some surfaces scratch easily and melt or mar under hot cookware, granite has an incredible resistance to heat. As it is non porous, Granite is also one of the most bacteria-resistant kitchen surfaces available. With proper care and maintenance, granite boasts a high stain resistance. Ask your Premier Stone Services project manager about care and maintenance protocol as well as sealant suggestions.
Granite was recently compared to manufactured stone, ceramic tile, laminate, butcher block, and other manufactured surfaces. Granite received the highest overall performance rating as a kitchen counter top material.
Limestone, Travertine, Slate & Soapstone:Limestone, Travertine, Slate and Soapstone are other examples of natural stone frequently used in residential applications.
- Limestone: Widely used as a building material because of its availability, Limestone is beautiful and relatively easy to handle. Appropriate applications include counter tops, flooring, interior and exterior wall cladding, and exterior paving.
- Travertine: A type of limestone, Travertine is one of the most popular natural stones for interior and exterior wall cladding, interior and exterior paving, statuary, and curbing. Travertine is frequently selected for kitchen countertops as well. At Premier Stone Services we try to let our clients know that.
- Slate: Slate is a fine grained, crystalline rock harvested from sediments of clay and fine silt which were deposited on ancient sea bottoms. The inherent properties of slate make it an excellent exterior finish or high traffic tile finish. As slate is extremely dense, slate countertops make for a beautiful alternative to granite.
- Soapstone: True Soapstone is inert, which means it will remain unaffected by household bases and acids. For many years, soapstone sinks and tiles have been used in classrooms and science labs along with work tables and counter tops. Its performance in long term high traffic applications makes it an outstanding choice for counter tops. Without regular sealing, soapstone takes on its own charming patina but can quickly and easily be restored to like-new status with a stone sealer.